Turning ThirtyDecember 13, 2007 at 6:29 am | Posted in Dear Diary | 1 Comment
Tags: Aging, Getting Older, Turning Thirty
“If at age 20 you are not a Communist then you have no heart. If at age 30 you are not a Capitalist then you have no brains.” (George Bernard Shaw)
This is the year (2008) that I turn 30. Who ever thought that the last 5 years would roll by in 5 seconds. Sadly enough, I was in such a rush to achieve my goals and get where I wanted to be that I can hardly remember the good times or really get the chance to live my 20’s. The good news is that this year (29) I feel like I made up for all that lost time and strangely enough, I’m looking forward to my 30’s. Of course, if I thought about turning 30 a few years ago, I would have broken down crying claiming it would be the end of my life. But from where I’m standing now, it looks like it’s the beginning to a good decade. Here’s my reasoning.
1. I’m comfortable with myself. I can guarantee you that one of the most important items on a girl’s agenda during her twenties is her appearance (weight, style, looks…). The key to looking good is based on what other people think. But that is quickly changing. Without even realizing, you find yourself caring less about what others think and more about what makes you happy. And this in turn makes you more comfortable, confident and RELIEVED. Now I can eat without worrying about those few extra pounds, go out without looking like a supermodel and say no when I feel like it without suffering from a guilty conscience.
2. It’s my turn to live it up. BECAUSE I EARNED IT. Throughout my twenties, I was a self proclaimed communist. I hated people who spent excess money or boasted their wealth with the newest expensive products while others were starving around the world. I would work and work and work trying to make an extra buck only to save it for rainy days. I wouldn’t even put my car in valet. Nowadays, I am really enjoying living it up. If I want something, I get it. I only get the best because I’ve finally learned that cheaper only means temporary. More importantly, I’ve reached a stage where I make a good amount of money, have a decent savings and I trully feel like I’ve earned the right to spend on whatever the hell I want to, even if its just for comfort.
3. I’m enjoying every second. Looking back, I didn’t have many friends in the last 6 years. I was more focused on work and other responsibilites. I had no time for small talk. In the last year, I regained all my old contacts and made a wonderful new group of friends who I love hanging out with. I am creating new memories that I will actually remember and I’m loving every day of my life.
4. Horoscopes don’t mean a thing. I’m sure everyone has went through a phase where you are on the mailing list of about 5 horoscopes that lead you to believe that you know what’s gonna happen. And you find yourself living your life on every word and just waiting for what they say to pan out. You wait for that job to come through or for your ex to realize you’re the love of his life or for your luck to win you the lottery. Sadly, when they don’t come true… you feel like a tragedy has come upon you and you waste anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years depressing over it. After a while, you get so tired of the ups and downs and realize that as long you give it your all…what’s meant to be will happen whether you kill yourself over it or not.
5. Inner Peace. I have always tried to find articles and advice on achieving happiness. And have done everything from travel to spa to losing 10 kilos to make myself happy. Unfortunately, those only accounted for temporary happiness. I always wondered how my mother was always happy no matter what was going on in her life. And she kept telling me that I just have to be contented with my life and I will be too. But I never understood how to do that. Apparently, you don’t have to do anything. It’s all about growing up. It happens on its own without you feeling it. Of course, the ups and downs are still there but they are only over the important stuff. Basically its the result of points 1 to 5.
So all in all “I feel good”! God I hope this lasts 😉